Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm home


I'm home. The sunlight is coming through the small window of my bedroom, Marcia has come on up with a cup of fresh coffee and I can stretch out in my bed and look at some familiar things.

Some of the work I did on the top terrace has created some problems; so that's something to do. The garden door needs fixing too. Plus several doors are jammed thanks to the humidity and rains these last few weeks. The list grows...

First it's some last Christmas shopping, stuff for my mother and Paul, stuff for the house. Marcia's been after this for some time, as have I : an LCD TV. So finally, in the rush of promotions for a Christmas sale, I bought a 32" LG monitor. Everyone was happy - only to find the dumb thing didn't work, provoking my frustration at the product and friction with Marcia, who was determined to make it work (on the shared conviction she has the patience to get these things to wok, and I do not). In the end she gave up at my insistence the TV was defective, so I tossed it back into the box and drove back to the store. Sure enough it was defective (hah!) so I got the showroom replacement which, of course, worked first time.

Don't know why, but in these last years I anger quickly at things that don't work, packets that don't open, things that block my way and slow me down, people who don't think or do their job as I think they should. If I'm not getting old I'm sure getting crotchety.

We settled down and flipped through channels, controls, input options and everything else you do when you buy a new gadget. Bu I'm concerned I've broken the magic of the last two days, which I desperately don't want to do.

Up to my bedroom and, once my head hit the pillow, I didn't feel sleepy, so I watched a movie Marcia had downloaded - "Get Smart", another spy spoof where the guy who always screws up gets to be the hero. There' s some input by Mel Brooks, so it was humorously loopy. Good thing to go to sleep on.

No comments:

Post a Comment